Friday, May 13, 2016
Michael: Hard Boiled Eggs
Clinging to our wall
Is the furriest creature
Imaginable.
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Kimme likes hard boiled eggs. I’m not keen on either the texture or smell, but the natives here seem to be absolutely repulsed by them.
How do we know?
The few times we’ve been on the bus and Kimme’s tried to unobtrusively snack on an egg, a native in the seat right in front of us has squinched his face and shaken his head like Kramer on Seinfeld when Rusty the horse had bad gas. They also move as quickly as they can to a seat as far away from us as possible.
They’re not rude about it. They don’t glare or say anything. But the egg experiment has been conducted enough times now to assure us that it’s the egg and nothing else about us.
And Kimme is pretty sensitive about these things so she won’t be snacking on hard boiled eggs on the bus in Panama anymore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I kinda wonder if the fondness for hard-boiled eggs is a "I grew up in Taiwan during the '80s" type of thing? I also love hard-boiled eggs and eggs over hard, and I didn't know those these weren't particularly popular with anybody else here in the States (or apparently, Panama).
ReplyDeleteI am sure it is. I think of Chinese tea eggs as the perfect travel food. And that actually may be the perfect fix for my smelly egg problem. Maybe they won't smell as offensive after they stew in the tea and five spice powder. I made a small batch yesterday and will try it out on Michael today. I stopped making them here when I could not find gluten-free soy sauce...I think salt and pepper will be fine as a substitute in the recipe.
ReplyDelete