Sunday, June 12, 2016

Michael: About Schmidt Syndrome


When the petals fall;
Lost to an overnight rain,
The flower still lives.

Wednesday, June 9, 2016

In About Schmidt an older man feels he’s wasting his life away because he’s anchored to his dull wife and life. When his wife dies he feels he’s gained the freedom to get out and travel and live again. Months later he’s still sitting in front of the T.V. living a sloppier version of the dull life he lived with his wife.

I feel just the opposite. Having the stability of a loving relationship frees me to occasionally jump out and travel and do things I wouldn’t do if I were alone. Plus I don’t feel the routines Kimme and I have developed are spirit crushing. Some I enjoy like exercise, writing, reading and studying Spanish. Some are maintenance task like cooking and cleaning that are more easily and enjoyably accomplished with her here than if I were single.

Now, with her in the states for a month, I’m just hoping I don’t let my life devolve into an About Schmidt bore of just searching endlessly through the net following whatever thread grabs my attention.

I’m sure being single works for many people but I know it’s not a condition conducive to my spirit’s enrichment.

No comments:

Post a Comment