Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Michael: Do Overs


Afternoon sunshine
During the rainy season
Lets the birds dry out.

Monday, June 20, 2016

One of the great things I enjoyed about teaching was if I screwed up and the kids just didn’t get what I was talking about, I could go back and try a different approach the next day. I’m trying to adopt that same attitude to trail racing.

Over the years I’ve dropped out of several races. I’ve hoped I’ve learned from those experiences and can go back and complete as many of the races I’ve dropped out of as I can.

And I feel this should be done within the next few years. Not that I feel death is imminent or the world is going to end, but I want to be honest enough with myself to acknowledge that at some point in the not to distant future, my capabilities could very likely decline. And I don’t want to just finish, I want to compete.

Also, in a year and a half I’ll turn 60 and will be in a new age group. That seems the perfect time to come back to the states for a few months and stomp on some of those courses that have kicked my butt in the past.

Meanwhile I plan on running a long trail race in nearby Costa Rica every few months both for the adventure of it and to make sure I’m not deluding myself about my prospects of success on my whirlwind old geezer birthday tour.

So Southern California, if you haven’t burned down or shaken yourself up too much, I’ll be back to seek my revenge very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment