Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Michael: Chayote King
Dark jagged edges
Rise out of the amorphous
Dull white and gray skies.
Sunday, June 12, 2016
Food preparation not being my forte, before Kimme left for the states she tried to use up all the vegetables that require any work beyond pealing. One of those vegetables being a local favorite, chayote.
Chayote looks like a cross between an avocado and a pumpkin. It has the shape of an avocado with gourd like pumpkin creases. It’s light green and yields a jicama like flesh that can be eaten. But to get there you’ve got to peel it then cook it.
Right now I’m up to peeling three foods; bananas, carrots and onions. I’ve penciled in potatoes and chayote for 2017.
But Kimme, being the kind person that she is and very aware that any whole chayotes she left behind would eventually be pitched into the field behind us, skinned and cubed some chayote. All I would need to do is dabble some olive oil on them, sprinkle on some pepper, place them on parchment sheet lined pan, then pop them in the oven and in no time I’d have a chunky potato like treat. I haven’t got there yet.
So what happens? Almost as soon as she’s out the door our neighbor from two doors down shows up with a bag of chayotes. Then yesterday our landlord, Luzmila, drops off a few more. Now I’m in chayote heaven…or purgatory…or hell.
If only they’d meet me half way and peal themselves. Then I might pitch in and slice up the bastards and cook them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment