Saturday, June 18, 2016
Michael: Givers, Users, and Beggars
Tied up all day long
The lives of certain dogs here
Are miserable.
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Because Volcan is a small town certain behaviors are much more visible, or invisible here.
For example, we don’t see homeless people here and last week was the first time I saw someone asking people for money. She was an older woman standing outside the bank carrying a sign of a child laying in a hospital bed.
She looked legit to me. In the states I’m sure I’d be far more prone to believe it was a scam.
Similarly, we only know of one ‘user’ here. She’s always wanting to borrow peoples’ tools, or phone chargers, pirates free cable or internet if she can… you know the type.
Fortunately, there are a lot of givers here. People who are not just part of some formal volunteer group, but just kind everyday people who are happy to offer you a ride, or give you fruit and vegetables, offer to show you a little known hike, or how to plant or use a tool.
I hope that’s the way it is in small communities in the states as well. I wouldn’t know, I’ve always lived in a city there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment