Friday, April 17, 2015

Kimme: Friday, April 17, 2015

Today's Workout:
6 mile tempo run √
Woss workout √

I am starting to feel a difference from having a daily balanced workout routine. This is new for me.  I tend to over do one exercise and then get injured or burnt out.  When I did a lot of yoga, I avoided running or doing anything cardiovascular.  When I worked out in a gym, I avoided hiking or running outside.  When I started to run on trails, I stopped running on the road and doing speed work altogether.

Right now, I have a good balance of workouts that focus on strength, flexibility, agility, speed, endurance, and coordination.  I wonder how it will affect how I do in my next couple fitness challenges.  This summer Michael and I plan to be back in the states and hopefully be there for one of our yearly races the Bulldog 50K. That race will be the test if cross training is making me a stronger runner.  What I would give to run that trail right now.  I have run it so many times that I know exactly how long it takes me to do each stretch.   The trails here are so different that all the years of data on my Garmin are useless.

The only thing that I like doing outdoors more than trail running has to be backpacking so our other adventure this summer will be to do half of the John Muir Trail (100 miles) in three days.  I am pretty sure I can do it but will have to test that out first on a trail here.  I think the longest distance I have hiked with a pack is 20 miles so I may be kidding myself.  But I wanna do it, and I ought to be able to do it.  Ughh.  I know when I hear that childish voice in me that I am probably going to give in to it. I still remember the first time I heard someone say that they were an ultralight endurance fastpacker, I immediately thought... " now that makes sense, that is what I want to do."  It combines some of my favorite things, running long distances in beautiful places with a thoughtfully packed backpack with all the food, clothing and shelter that you need.  Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment