Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Michael: Tuesday, April 21, 2015

There are chicks again
Trailing after their mother
Like rock star groupies.

Now to switch from diet to exercise and how that’s been effected by the move to Panama.

As with my diet, my exercise regimen over the years has become simplified and structured. With all this order in place I’m beginning to wonder if  I’m becoming a cranky close minded old…, Nah, I’m going to stick with disciplined for moment. 

The way I’ve organized my workout program here is very similar to how it was back in the states:

Monday - jump rope, pull ups, Woss suspension trainer
Tuesday- Speedwork, bike ride, pull ups, Woss
Wednesday- trail run
Thursday- ride
Friday- interval/tempo run, pull ups, Woss
Saturday- ride
Sunday- trail run
Every night-achilles exercises, stretching

That’s how it ideally lays out. At the moment I’m only riding twice a week, struggling to fit in that ride after doing the speed work on Tuesday. The structure, duration and intensity of each workout flexes with planned events like road or trail races, duathlons and fast packing outings. With nothing solid penciled in for the first time in years, I’m trying to stay in all around decent shape, ready to tweak my workouts as soon as we know when we’re returning to the states and/or what events we’ll want to participate in here, or during our visit.

We’re both hoping for an August visit and to race the Bull Dog trail event. Kimme is also mulling over doing the northern half of the John Muir Trail. But it is a 100 mile trek at altitude over mountainous terrain in the three days so it is gong to require a firm commitment and some logistical lead time.  I’m game and have done it before, so to make it interesting and a shade easier, we’d go from south to north, instead of the way I did it my first time around. 

But now let’s get back to working out. At home in storage I left a treadmill, a set of power blocks (weights), push up bar, and kettle bells. So far the weather’s been great and I’ve been able to do the speed work and interval/tempo runs on the road without much of a hitch. I don’t feel I’m pushing myself like I do on the treadmill or am maintaining the precision a treadmill allows me to dial in, but I am enjoying getting outside to work out a little more often than I did in the states. Haven’t quite decided yet whether to load that on the boat, but if it fits and I don’t have to push it up the ramp, why not.

 The rest of the workout equipment will be shipped here and will be thrown into the work out rotation at some point. Kimme got a set of kettle bells when we got here and just like with dinner, she’s very good at finding different recipes for upper body, core work, and flexibility routines that keep our workouts lively and our muscles moving in a variety of ways. I haven’t joined her in her Daily Burn workouts yet, but she does look like she’s becoming stronger and having a lot of fun while she’s at it. We are sharing the Woss and next month I plan on getting a kettle bell here that will supplement what’s in storage. I just hope we don’t knock each other out or break a window once we’re swinging those mini wrecking balls together.

I do miss racing. I also miss the camaraderie of the Santa Monica Trail Running club. I miss wheel sucking the younger, stronger dudes on P.C.H. then trying to drop them up the climbs. I miss new shoes and new outfits. There’s no one to talk about that stuff around here, and even if there was, I probably wouldn’t know what they were saying. And if you don’t think that’s got anything to do with staying in shape, then you don’t have the proper mindset. But that’s a discussion for another day. Now it’s just about time to lace up and do a set of 6 x 1 min. downhill pick up runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment