Friday, April 3, 2015
Michael: Friday, April 3, 2015
The old Land Cruiser
With the foot opening vents
Rattled up the hills.
Yesterday was a catch as catch can day. I thought I was going to get a brief ride in to test out the new seat before we headed over to an ex-pat gathering to watch their monthly spiritual cinema, but the first half of that equation had to be jettisoned when I was reminded by my landlord that it was the Easter Holiday period and that the banks and just about everything else would shut down by noon so people could travel to be with their family.
Wednesday, when I went to the bank, they told me I’d need my passport to make a withdrawal for the 7 hundreds and 5 twenties I requested. Not wanting to take any chances that I’d return and they’d tell me I was mistaken, I took out $500 from the ATM, figuring I could make another ATM withdrawal if any problems arose when I returned with my passport. That turned out to be a smart move that saved my middle aged coolness from suffering from a teen-aged boy’s angst; because the bank couldn’t process my request again for some reason, and again I had to make a sizeable ATM withdrawal. But imagine if I had to make that withdrawal in one large $900 dollars in twenties put in your wallet and walk around pocket? I’d have looked like one very happy and well endowed gringo.
After paying our rent, our landlord, Luzmilla, offered to drop us off at the ex-pats’ house since she was headed out that in that direction. But as nice and quirky as she is, I’m not sure she’ll be making that offer again any time soon as the paved road to the ex-pats’ place was quite a roller coaster journey which had the additional entertainment value of starting off with a take up one lane of the main road walking funeral procession.
Luzmilla’s old Land Cruiser is slow to begin with but it gets a lot slower when not knowing precisely where we’re going, Luzmilla took as many opportunities as she could find to stop and question people about directions, sometimes even requesting they leave their front door and walk over to her because she can’t hear them. But she’s such a fun soul no one ever responds to her in anything but a cheerful way. Wish I could get away with that.
The gathering itself was pleasant enough though I don’t see the point of re-hashing any details of the affair. Talking about parties is like giving a power point presentation; everyone thinks theirs is going to be different but they all boil down to colors and sounds and maybe few lines you’ll remember for a little a while. And that’s not a knock about gatherings, just about talking about them.
But those types of things, pleasant or not, take a lot out of me. So today instead of doing my taxes, I’m just going to regroup and catch up on some reading and net “research”, a light workout to save my calf and hopefully a little bit of writing. Tomorrow I can’t wait to finally get out on the bike and give the new seat a try. If it works I’m going to have to challenge Luzmilla to a duel because I think I can take her old jalopy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment