Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Michael: Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Weeding the garden
I discovered small creatures
Can inflict large pain.

All right, the three reasons I never miss a workout:

(Okay, first one small, minor disclaimer. I have missed three days of working out since Halloween 2012, but I haven’t missed a day since February 11 of last year. I’m sure there are much longer streaks out there, but it still feels pretty impressive, but I’ll get back to that in reason number three.)

1. I don’t want to disappoint Kimme. She is trying to follow a workout plan that is somewhat intertwined with mine, so if I change my plans, she may have to make adjustments to hers and I can see it upsets her and throws her off a little.

She also used to refer to me and a few others as her heroes because of our dedication to maintaining our health. Now that she knows me better, I’m not hearing that quite so much. In fact, now that she’s been exposed to a great many of my other quirks, many of her references to me are far from the noble moniker of “hero”. Just kidding editor.

2. I don’t want to disappoint myself. I have a schedule that I’ve prepared so there’s no jerk coach to blame, other than myself, for not following the plan I’ve laid out. If I had another coach I’m sure I would occasionally fall back on their lack of knowledge or insight into my personal situation to niggle out of a workout or two. But I’ve been at this exercise/competition thing for over 40 years. I know myself pretty well and have the long term results to indicate I’m a pretty wise coach for myself. And my coach knows when his athlete needs to cut back or make modifications and he also knows that if he just picks up his feet and works his way through those first awkward minutes of the workout, his client will start feeling better and will almost always enjoy the prescribed workout.

3. I have a streak going and I intend to extend it. Shortly after Kimme and I met she told me about some Hindu Swami belief that if you can do something for 1,000 days without a break, you will have mastered that activity. I like the sound of that and thought, why not, I’ll give it a go.

Also it’s just in my dogmatic nature which I partly blame on my mom. I was talking to her last night about her streak of job attendance during her over 30 years of working for Pacific Bell. She doesn’t exactly remember her longest streak, though she does recall receiving 5 and 10 year awards for not missing a day of work.

I know as a student and teacher I also went several years in a row without missing any days.

It’s obstinacy. It’s in the blood. And I’m pretty happy about that. Thanks mom. And though I’m pretty happy about it, it does have a few draw backs, which I’ll talk about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment