I woke up ready to do a long trail run through the Totumas Cloud Forest to look for a dirt road that would take us to the Amistad National Park Boundary. We have looked for it 3 separate times and have missed it every time. It is frustrating but we do enjoy the search. But this morning Michael thought that he needed to rest his calf strain one more day ( he thinks it is a low grade Soleus strain.) so we decided to put off the trail run until tomorrow and do a short speed run and Woss workout today. As soon as I started running I felt what I thought was an old running injury (glutes) coming back. But it didn't make sense because I had not done anything that might have aggravated it. Our last run was another short speed workout. Then I realized that what I had was not a running injury but a sitting injury. A couple days ago we spent over 6 hours on the bus. There are two seats on almost every bus in Panama that is almost always the last taken and it is the seat over the rear tires. On that seat there is a large hump where you would normally have foot room and you need to lift one of your legs up in order to sit in that spot. I sit in that seat quite a lot because it is a window seat. Now it makes all makes sense...but it also feels ironic because the last time I thought I had running injury in my knee it also turned out to be a sitting injury...it was a strain from spending too much time sitting cross-legged while reading on the couch.
The second part of workout went really well. I tried all 18 exercises on the Woss quick guide each for a minute and was done in less than 25 minutes. I can already tell I am going to really like it. The 18 exercises are classic moves like push ups, squats lunges, crunches but because you can adjust how hard you want to work in each exercise by just moving your arms or your feet you feel in control at all moments. The exercises are divided into upper body, core, and lower body. In each exercise the straps function as a stabilizing force. If you normally have a tough time doing upper body exercises the straps keeps you balanced and engage your core and lower body muscles to pick up the slack and vice versa. It allows you to do exercises that you could never do properly unassisted. And that is what I really got it for. I know I said I wanted to get it to work on my balance and coordination but what I am really hoping it will do is get me closer to doing a pull up. I have never been able to do one. I am at a disadvantage because I have a puny skinny and weak upper body and really heavy and bulky lower body. I don't think I have ever even seen a woman with my body type pull off a pull up. But I do know it is an excuse and I think that would be a worthwhile exercise goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment