Wednesday, December 7, 2016
Michael: The Active Tourist
The mountainside ghosts
Glide slowly around the crown
Of the volcano.
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
Now that summer’s here I’m sure we’ll see a few more tourists out and about. And if I were one on of them and I were blitzing through the Volcan area as part of a tour through Central America, this is what I’d recommend:
If you had only two days to spend here, I’d start in Boquete and take the Volcan Baru trial over the highest point in Panama then down into the small hamlet of Bambito where I’d catch the bus into Guadalupe and stay at the Quetzal Lodge. The next day I’d hike back over to Boquete via the Quetzal trail. That would be a very challenging two day excursion on the two most famous trails in this area.
If I had any more time to spend here, I’d break up that trek back into Boquete with a few days stay at the Totumas Cloud Forest Lodge. It’s a stunning place with various trails in a secluded new lodge with very amiable and knowledgeable proprietors.
If Costa Rica were also in my itinerary and I was already in Volcan or Boquete, I’d consider taking the bus over the border via Rio Sereno and then take the short bus trip into San Vito and visit the Wilson Botanical Gardens. San Vito is a very enjoyable town and there are many fine B&Bs there. We really enjoy Casa Botanica, which is only a short walk away from the Wilson Gardens. The owners are great and have no problems preparing a delicious vegetarian breakfast.
I’m sure there are other highlights in the tourist guides out there, but these are the places we’d find ourselves going to again and again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment