Sunday, December 4, 2016
Michael: Altitude Vs. Heat and Humidity
The indigo sky
Sprinkled with sugary stars
Is a midnight sweet.
Saturday, December 3, 2016
In Los Angeles, where I spent most of my life, it could get very hot in the summer and when training for an ultra it could prove to be very prudent to throw in a little heat training. If I had enough fuel and water I actually kind of enjoyed running in the heat.
Here in Volcan, heat isn’t a problem. During the dry season it might get into the 80s tops. Here it’s all about altitude. Volcan sits at about 5k and the nearby trails provide opportunities to run up to 11k. Now that I’ve been here for two years I don’t give the altitude a second thought, except to wonder if I’d do better at lower elevation races.
I could find out fairly easily if I so chose by heading downhill into David and running there, but that place is Hell. It’s both hot and humid. In L.A. I never experienced that combination, and I have no desire to ever re-locate to an area where that occurs on a regular basis. During races here, sometimes runners will come up from David to race and I wish my Spanish was good enough to ask them what they think of running up in the cool hills versus the misery that’s David or Panama City.
I also wish there was an online index that compares heat and humidity training to altitude training. I would hope that altitude would win out, but even if it didn’t, I’m staying up here where it’s nice and comfortable. On one of my bike rides I dip my toes into the sea level altitude, but I don’t hang out there and head back up into the cozy climes of the hills as quickly as my spindly little legs will carry me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment