Monday, December 19, 2016

Michael: Something New


Afternoon sunshine
Leans in through the west window
And keeps our house warm.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Every blog, article or podcast about running will warn runners not to try anything new during a race. Generally, I’ll heed that advice, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t already thought about new things I’m going to try right after this weekend’s race.

Before races, I use to stretch; but then it came out that stretching prior to a race was shown to be detrimental to performance. Instead, I switched to walking, jogging and maybe a few pick ups before speed work or races. But now I’ve been reading certain types of dynamic stretches are being recommended, so starting next week I’m going to try and work out a routine I’ll be comfortable with again.

I also want to try out some plyrometric and balance exercises. I’ve done some plyrometric exercises in the past and don’t know why I stopped. Exercises aimed directly at improving balance I’ve never tried, but I feel I’m reaching an age where best to get out in front of it before it does become an issue.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll end up tweaking a few other mental or physical issues after I’ve had some time to digest whatever occurs involving Saturday’s 50k race. Races are great teachers, even if I’m not always bright enough to figure out what lessons I should be learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment