Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Michael: Group Dynamics
The abandoned dogs
Searching for a group to join
No longer work here.
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
Kimme and I are pretty much homebodies for a reason. We don’t really like to attend social functions very often and to be honest we’re not really invited to many either. However, yesterday we did go to a very nice couple’s home to view the Spiritual Cinema.
I’m not going to don my movie reviewer hat and talk about the films we saw. Instead, I just want to make note of what a strange arc my life has taken in regards to being part of a group.
Up until a few years ago I was an elementary school teacher which is a very unique gig. All day I was surrounded by 20 to 30 kids who all were growing at a pretty rapid rate while I was pretty much unaware of my slow decline until my last few years of teaching when I really began to feel the energy drain. And even then, I didn’t feel that my struggles were age related.
Yesterday, there were about 15 adults at the gathering and outside of Kimme’s 46 and the daughter of an older woman, I was the youngest person there at 58. Going from the proverbial old man in the room to the youngest of the old men in the room is kind of freakish and I still don’t know what to make of it.
Most people there, though you can see their decline, still have quite a bit of enthusiasm for life. Yet you can also sense some of the wind has been taken out of their sails. For me I could definitely sense a huge difference in the energy of a room filled with children and a room half full of old people. I’m not sure I could or would want to go back to being with kids all day, but I can’t say at this moment I’m looking forward to pulling up my chair at the bingo table either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment