Monday, December 12, 2016
Michael: The Bird in the Mirror
The wild parrots squawk
Like a group of country boys
Drinking at the bar.
Sunday, December 11, 2016
You know you have a little too much time on your hands when you google things like, ‘What are birds thinking when they look into mirrors?’ Hey, hold on just a second, I have a good reason for doing that.
Yesterday morning I heard a knocking sound and went to investigate. It turned out to be a small chickadee pecking at a mirror we had taken outside because it had mold on it. We had turned the mirror’s back to the sun to attempt to kill the mold. For some reason, this little bird squeezed between the leaning mirror and a wall and got a glimpse of its reflection. When we walked out there it would hop away into the garden, but as soon as it thought it was safe it went right back to the mirror. It did this all day.
I figured either birds are goofy narcissists that are trying to woo what they consider a very attractive prospect, or they’re just the opposite, and find this mirror bird to be utterly repulsive and resent it showing its face in their territory.
In my search through the online bird psychology curriculum I did learn that mirrors are not recommended as accessories for pet birds. If you’ve got the time and inclination, feel free to do the research yourself. I’ll admit it, it was kind of interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment