Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Michael: Too Much Credit


The operatic
Roosters warm up before dawn
Outside our window.

Monday, December 12, 2016

Kimme and I were discussing what it says about people that so many of us are willing to buy into conspiracy theories. She believes it shows a negativity of spirit. Why not, she says, instead of believing in dark forces conspiring against, believe in positive forces trying to help us?

I tend to believe two main factors lie behind what motivates people to become conspiracy followers. One, they seriously overestimate how much intelligence there is in the universe. They believe if bad things are happening or are about to happen, it’s because some malicious intelligence - either human or alien - is conspiring against us. They don’t want to believe, as I do, that most of our problems are caused either by our own shortsightedness, stupidity, bad luck, or a combination of those qualities.

Secondly, I believe conspiracy people are missionary wannabees. Some people like being part of a social network and recruiting others into their network. Some people are Jehovahs, some are Cowboy fans, and some are chem. trail/United Nation black boot believers. And some people, God forbid, are probably all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment