Friday, January 20, 2017
Michael: 2 Years
The cold devils’ touch
Of rigormortis keeps us
Coiled in fetal fear.
If anyone had told me two years ago that our 2nd anniversary of living in Panama would coincide with the eve of Trump’s inauguration, I would’ve had one of the best laughs I can imagine having.
But now that we’re waking up to the everyday reality of it, I’m glad we’re here. It’s peaceful here and I expect it to remain that way. Not that Trump is going to have a hand in everyone’s day to day concerns in the states. But just to be away from the continuous drama almost seems worth it.
Naturally, every time I go to my email or look at the news some ’bizarre’, ’explosive’, ’shocking’, ’tirade’, ’crises’… is thrown at me. I imagine in the states it’s going to be one wild ride for however long Trump occupies the White House.
And for us, and many others who do reside in the states, is the reality that very shortly health insurance is going to change. Again, that won’t effect our lives here as far as I can tell, but it’ll definitely have an effect on when we’ll return to the U.S.
For now we’re going to celebrate; our anniversary that is. Hopefully whatever Trump and his administration does won’t impact the U.S. in ways that will prolong the number of anniversaries we’ll have here. We miss our families, friends and all the rest that goes with not being in your native culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment