Thursday, January 5, 2017

Michael: The Other Side of the Coin


The stars make no sense;
Their scattered flickers of light
Say nothing to us.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

It’s very easy to get around by bus here, but again, it’s those little things not mentioned by the likes of International Living that could make it difficult for some ex-pats to find getting around by bus manageable.

Today, for instance, we were waiting for a bus to take us back into town after our Wednesday trail run and often this particular bus can be quite crowded. Today was no exception. Kimme was fortunate as she was seated in one of the little fold out seats up front. On the small buses here, even at 5’10”, when I have to stand I’ve got to bend my head quite a bit. On a long ride that can get pretty uncomfortable.

Another uncomfortable position to be put in happened just a little further down the road. A passenger got off and that freed up a small padded area next to the bus driver for me to sit on. In that seat I was the only passenger facing rearward.

Directly across from me sat a young mother with her child in her lap. It’s a pretty cramped arrangement where our legs were locked together. If we both had been traveling to the end of the line and had to keep our seats, we would’ve been locked together for over an hour. That kind of forced intimacy could get very uncomfortable for a lot of people. To be honest, I’m not keen on it, but one good thing about sitting up front is your far more likely to be sitting next to a woman. And even if it were a man, it would sure beat standing in the back squished between a bunch of other men.

Not coming from a touchy feely background I still find this a bit unnerving, but I’m adapting, and I still prefer getting around by bus than buying a car and driving with some of these crazy drivers out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment