Thursday, January 19, 2017

Michael: Living Without a Motor


A blanket of dreams
Covers the darkest hours
With surreal peace.

Wednesday, January 9, 2017

Tomorrow we’ll celebrate our 2 year anniversary of living in Panama. That also means we’ve gone two years without a car. For the hell of it I googled what the average yearly expense of owning a car is and AAA claims it’s a little over $9,000. That means foregoing having a car has hopefully saved us enough to buy a small property somewhere in Volcan on which we can also forego a car for a bit longer and use the continued savings of our delayed gratification toward the building of a home.

But really it’s not even delayed gratification because I don’t think I’d be very gratified driving here very often. Sure, it can be a hassle on occasion not having a car at our disposal, but with the drivers here, I’m not sure I’d ever be smiling all that often behind the wheel anyway.

When we do return to the states, particularly if we end up back in SoCal, it’s very likely we’ll get back behind the wheel. But the hiatus hasn’t felt like nearly the deprivation I thought it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment