Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Michael: A Two Dog Day
Knobs of white water
Rise out of the churning mud
Heading out to sea.
Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Either my Intro. To Logic course taught me wrong or I’ve screwed up the basics, because the simple syllogism I’m using isn’t working out.
That syllogism goes like this:
1. Dogs are man’s best friend.
2. You are a dog.
3. I am a man.
Therefore, you must be my best friend.
So why did two of you come after me yesterday on my bike ride like you were my sworn enemies?
Where did I screw up?
Maybe it’s suppose to be that a particular dog is a particular man’s best friend, but that’s definitely not the way I remember it.
Either way, it’s muddled and what’s worse is that dogs seem to be as confused about it as I am.
Take one of yesterday’s dogs for instance. Shortly after he came after me I had to turn around and head back for home. I was grimacing at the prospect of him coming at me again. But the second time round he just pranced through the grass ignoring me. What gives? I expect people to be irrational and inconsistent but I’d held the rest of the animal kingdom in higher regard. However, my interactions with the dogs around here have me musing that perhaps the higher the I.Q. of a species the more subject it is to irrational responses.
But I don’t want to push to hard on that assumption either; sounds too much like I’m falling back into the old logical way of thinking trap.
My new credo is: Take a bite out of logic before it takes a bite out of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment