Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Michael: Please No See Ums


The wind is gruesome;
Twisting the branches off trees
With a vicious crack.

Monday, January 16, 2017

There’s a realization when you live on a slope that you don’t get when you live predominantly on flat land at one elevation, and that’s that wildlife can vary very quickly from the location you’re at to just minutes away, either up or downhill. In particular, I’m talking about bugs and to be more specific, no see-ums.

Where we’re at in Volcan we don’t see them because they’re not here. So you forget about them. You walk around in shorts or knickers and maybe suffer the occasional mosquito bite, but not the little tiny stab wounds no see-ums can inflict. Until you’re invited over to a friends house who lives about 20 minutes away and about 1000 ft. lower in altitude. Of course they don’t tell you about them because they know to where long pants and don’t think about it. And neither do I until I get home and start itching like crazy because I wasn’t aware that I’d spent a few hours in no see-um country.

So a word to the wise resident or traveler, bugs have comfort zones that are even more restrictive than our own. Enter theirs uncovered at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment