Thursday, July 21, 2016

Michael: And While I'm Ranting...


The rumble down sky
Pitter patters wet brushes the earth
With crystalline rings.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Just a few nits about The North Face in Costa Rica race we’re about to do.

Many race websites, including other North Face races I‘ve looked into, have an English translation function. For this race I can get a google translation of the home page, but that‘s it.

From my limited Spanish and wit I can kind of figure out a few other important good to knows, but can’t be certain (Sadly, both because of my lack of confidence in my Spanish and wit.). For instance, the race starts at 5:30 a.m. so the first half hour will be run in the dark, but they’re not requiring a headlamp so I presume that means the first half hour or so will be run on a fire road and not single track in the forest.

I’m also gleaning from the required 500 ml. bottle and names like “Gatorade”, there will be a decent amount of aid stations, though I don’t see any markings on the map, or chart, or numbers with kilometers after them. I’ll ask at packet pick up and see what happens. But it’s quite possible I could be doing this race without knowing how far I’ll need to make that 500 ml. last.

This is also the only race I’ve ever signed up for that requires everyone to wear the race t-shirt we’ll be given in our race packets. I don’t mind that North Face is requiring a store visit to pick up the race packet. Though for us that’ll mean a day exploring the Costa Rican bus system instead of relaxing in the countryside. But, c’mon, race wear can be a big part of the whole race preparation and mindset element that differentiates a race from just a get together of jogging buddies. I’m still planning on using my North Face shorts, but I’m not happy that the North Face is turning us all into corporate zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment