Thursday, July 28, 2016
Michael: Running in the Rain
Pulses, like heartbeats
Of white lighted arteries,
Streak across the sky.
Saturday, July 23, 2016
On our last two runs Kimme and I have had a chance to run in the rain and test out the differences between jackets and ponchos.
On our Sunday Quetzal run, we got caught out in a steady rain for the last two hours of our run. Kimme wore a waterproof jacket with detachable sleeves (she had her sleeves detached.) and I used a water resistant windbreaker.
When I use to run on the rare occasions it rained in S. California, I thought Kimme’s set up worked pretty well, but I wouldn’t do it here. Why? Because at 5k ft. and above altitude, the sun is a little more intense here and you just never know how much of a sun/cloud mixture you’re going to get. Also, in patches, the mosquitoes or other bugs can be a nuisance and I would rather lightly cover my arms as opposed to using more bug chemicals. But to each their own. As far as body temperature regulation goes, in moderate to warm climates, I think her set up works great.
Mine did not. My water resistant windbreaker was good for about 15 minutes in a steady downpour before it soaked through. It did seem to help keep in a little body heat, but that could just be wishful thinking. I do have a Craft running jacket that’s more water protective that I normally use, but it’s also bulkier and warmer.
On Wednesday we ran through a bit lighter rain and we both used ponchos. Kimme used my old sil nylon poncho, that at 6 oz. is just a tad heavier than my 5 oz. cuben fiber poncho. But mine is also bulkier. And on top of that the cuben fiber’s color and texture make it look like I’m wearing the top half of the Tin Man after he’d been crushed for recycling than straightened out again. Though it somewhat compensates for it’s appearance by making a nice rhythmic sound as it bounces on and off my shoulders while I’m running.
Both of us rate the ponchos as far superior in keeping us dry and comfortable compared to our vests, windbreakers and jackets. They also have the advantage of working over our packs keeping them dry while not restricting our access to our hydration, nutrition or gear. From now on, it’s what I plan on carrying for any excursion over an hour and a half.
For races that require raingear, because of the bulk of my poncho, Kimme is going to make a mesh banana sling I can store it in and wear around my waist.
I don’t normally believe there’s such a big trade off between style and function, but in the choice between the two, I’ve got to go with the frumpy but functional poncho over the more stylish but compromising choices presented by running windbreakers or jackets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment