Saturday, July 30, 2016

Michael: Senorita Muffet


Incendiary
Winds strong arm ghostly passions
Into submission.

Monday, July 25, 2016

I thought all Panamanians were tranquilo, at least when it comes to dogs, but I was hilariously mistaken.

Yesterday, Kimme got to meet my mysterious running partner, Mario. We met while she was away in the states for a month. He took us on a new trail run that began at the Lagunas, a small swimming hole/ fishing pond near Volcan’s one mile long single tarmac airstrip. He also brought along his very vicious sounding but friendly once you get to know him dog, Pilson.

It was a great trail and a great run. Unusual for Kimme and I as it was more of a rolling farm road than the roller coaster trails we’ve been running.

Surprisingly to us as well was running into Kiara just as we were beginning to drive away from the trailhead. Kiara is a Panamanian from Panama City interning for an ex-pat we know. We’ve hiked with her a couple of times while hiking with the Volcan hiking club.

And surprising to Kiara was the loud greeting she got from Pilson once she was near enough to the back of the pick up cab for them to notice each other. He barked and she did a combination of Steve Martin’s “Happy Feet” routine combined with Seinfeld’s scream when he was told that he was given some of Newman’s blood. Is was as entertaining a reaction to an animal encounter as I’ve ever witnessed.

It was also surprising to me because many Panamanians chuckle at me and believe I’m over-reacting to dogs when I bluff picking up a rock to throw at them or squirt them with a water bottle. I just figured all Panamanians were use to dogs and  just took their barks and aggressive moves in stride. But not Kiara. Maybe it’s because she’s from the city. Maybe it’s an individual thing where she’s the odd Panamanian out. But as scary as it was for her, it was a relief for me to see someone react more creatively to a dog encounter than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment