Thursday, July 14, 2016
Michael: Rides with Strangers
The metallic rain
Pounds out a sporadic beat
On the panes of glass.
Monday, July 11, 2016
The plan of getting around by bus and taxi has worked out pretty well. It never would’ve occurred to me that randomly that would be supplemented by free rides with semi or complete strangers, but last week I was fortunate enough to be offered three rides. That means in one week I took more rides from people I don’t know or could barely talk to than in my entire life in the states.
The first ride was from a neighbor who lives in Chile but has a home here. He gave me a ride into town. After grocery shopping, a local tour guide who we run into occasionally when we’re all jogging, gave me a ride home. He speaks decent English. The neighbor doesn’t speak any English.
Finally, on Thursday, the big treat was taking a ride from a truck driver that I had just beat running up the farm road coming back from the Los Posos hot springs. It’s a very lightly used road and the chance to race trucks or 4 wheel drive vehicles on it is a lot of fun. Surprisingly to me, I usually can catch or pass vehicles on the downhill and they usually make up ground on the uphills. I thought it would work out just the opposite and I might be able to tailgate on the uphills and then get steamrolled on the downhills.
After the truck driver reached the intersection with the main road he gestured to Kimme and I if we were headed into Volcan. It was one of those trucks where the cab is really high off the ground and you’ve got to climb inside like you were climbing a ladder to sleep in the top bunk of a bunk bed. I’d never ridden in a truck like that before.
I’m sure last week was a fluke and I still feel a bit uneasy taking rides from strangers, but it’s a treat now and then that hard to pass up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment