Sunday, July 17, 2016

Michael: Test Runs


Galloping across
The field the bull confronted
Us as we crossed paths.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Last week I received my last pair of trail shoes of the year (4 pair this year - a record low) and my only new pack for 2016, so they had better be good.

First up, the Hoka ATR Challenger 2s. I have the first version and I’m very happy with those. So after listening to the Ginger Runner’s review of the 2s I expected to be very pleased with the update. So far, so very good. There’s no point going over the details. All I would be doing is repeating what the G.R. said in his review, right down to sizing up half a size.

I’ll just make a few comments about my likes and dislikes so far.

Dislikes, I still don’t feel Hoka has completely dialed in the heel. They’re better, but I still feel just a touch of sloppiness. Nothing that will prevent me from using them in some upcoming 50ks, but I do hope Hoka and I will one day have that glass slipper moment as relates to heel fit. That’s why Altra’s Lone Peak 2.Whatever will be on my next year’s shoe buying list. Both for variety’s sake and to see if they can do cushioning and fit for me better than Hoka.

I also haven’t had the chance to test ride the Hokas in the rain or run through any streams yet. I’ll be curious how they handle being swamped.

On the bright side, and I mean bright, is the color scheme. The yellow fade to orange comes pretty close to matching my tri-bike Gumby and Pokey paint scheme that I had custom painted (minus the Gumby green). I even ordered matching mountain bike gloves to complete the flash. That’s what I figure fashion is all about. I don’t want to talk. I want my outfit to speak for me. And I want it to clearly state, “let’s have some fun out here, and watch out for this old dude, he might be up to something.”

As opposed to the Hokas, my only disappointment with the Ultra Aspire Revolt pack is the color scheme. It’s their traditional red and grey and while not ugly, it doesn’t really work with the pizzazz of the rest of my race attire.
But since it’s mostly on my back at least I don’t have to look at it. And the damned thing is so comfortable and functional, looking at it is about the only way I’d notice that I’m even using it.

It’s really what I was hoping the original Revolution pack would be; a race pack that carries just enough water in a bottle up high on the back for short races or races with aid stations within every hour and a half of each other. I prefer it over the Orange Mud Single Barrel, which is also a great water bottle pack that sits high up on the back, because the Revolt has a better pocket system for racing.

The only downer with the pack so far is it’s hard for me to insert the flask back in its sleeve. I’ve got to reach behind me with both hands to pull on it to get the flask past the fabric flap that retains it in its horizontal pouch. Those flaps do serve to secure the flask while running so it’s worth the trade-off, but it’s still an annoyance.

As an aside, Kimme also has the Hoka ATR Challenger 2s and is very happy with them, though instead of going up half a size she ordered a half size smaller. She’s also very happy using the Orange Mud pack, which is a very good thing, because I’m not sharing the Revolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment