Thursday, September 8, 2016
Michael: The Flower Festival
The rose colored sky
Slowly washes into gray
As the sun goes down.
Wednesday, September 7, 2016
We are becoming Volcanites. One way I can tell is that we favor our little flower festival over Boquete’s.
Right now the town is sprucing itself up by either putting out new old tire planters or sprucing up last years. I suppose the reasoning for starting this festival in September is to draw people together and have a little break of color during the long rainy season. Though it’s risky. It can rain hard here this time of year starting around noonish. Boquete holds there flower festival in January when they’re far more likely to have a long sunny day.
Boquete is also much more crowded with tourists during the dry season and many end up at their flower festival. In fact we walked past the festival as tourists a few years ago. But I like that Volcan isn’t trying to piggy back on Boquete and draw tourismos over here. It gives the festival a more intimate and local flavor. The town isn’t going out of its way to snub tourists, but it’s not going out of it’s way to target them either.
In November schools are out and the national holiday festivities take over. I’m sure Boquete’s, in some peoples’ eyes, outshine Volcan’s celebrations. That I can’t comment on. I’m not a big parade fan so if I’m going to have to wade through one, I’d rather stay local.
But the flower festival is another story. It’s small and quaint and if they keep it calendared in September, it’s bound to stay that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment