Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Michael: Sitting Still
Followed by four dogs
The old woman led her pack
To the town center.
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Kimme meditates everyday. Her wheezy breathing for the last 4 years has vacillated between amusing to driving me mildly insane. Since this practice seems to be ingrained into her morning routine, and it’s too cold outside to get away from, I decided I might as well join her. How hard could it be to close your eyes for 5 minutes or so, wheeze and sway back and forth? Heck, when I was a kid and had asthma I did it all the time.
But I didn’t want to follow exactly in her cross legged footsteps, so I read a book called the Urban Monk that suggested some alternatives. What I’ve chosen to do is sit and use my thumb and index finger to close one nostril at a time and try to focus on breathing slowly and to focus my breath on coming from a few inches below my navel.
I thought since I focus for hours on trail runs and bike rides, sitting still and just relaxing and concentrating on my breathing would be a piece of cake. But it’s not as easy or as goofy as it looks. Well, maybe it is pretty goofy looking. I can’t tell. My eyes are closed. But all kinds of random thoughts sail through my consciousness. It’s not as crazy as dreaming, but is sure is a lot more difficult to just think about breathing than I had ever thought it would be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment