Saturday, September 10, 2016

Michael: A Tear in My Eye?


Buses and thunder
Overpower the birds’ calls
In the afternoon.

Friday, September 9, 2016

Every few weeks either REI or Trail Runner magazine sends out an email with a little inspirational film attached. I watch most of them, but I don’t expect to either learn or be inspired by them. They’re all so redundant in both form and content. But yesterday’s “Thirty Hour” vimeo sent by Trail Runner almost brought a tear to my eye.

The “Thirty Hour” refers to the time mark that a person needs to complete the Western States 100 to be an official finisher. This film’s about Wally Herseltine, a racer in his 70s who was attempting to become the oldest finisher of the Western States. He just misses; entering the track under the limit but so out of it that he falls, gets up, but doesn’t quite make it in time.

I don’t know why this little short got to me. It’s got the same slow motion passing of the trees, same overdub narration, an old guy moving like an old guy…But I guess I find the failure of mere mortals closer to my heart than most of the stories the elites tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment